Signs of Termite Infestation
Termite infestations can be stressful to deal with. They’re a lot worse than other pest infestations such as bed bugs or rodents. These wood eating insects can eat away at your walls and attic. If you suspect an infestation but are not sure if your diagnosis is correct, then you can lookout for a few signs to be 100% sure. Read ahead to learn about what signs to look for and what to do once the termite infestation has been ruled out.
What is a Termite Infestation?
A termite infestation is often referred to as the presence of termites in your home or facility that have gotten out of control. Termites can multiply within weeks and take control of your entire property, hence the term infestation. Professionals services are required to protect your home.
1. Tunnels And Nests
To protect themselves from dryness, termites create mud tunnels. These tunnels also make it easier for them to travel. The most common places to find these are close to the foundation and near the edges of the wall. If you spot one, cut it open. You are sure to find the termites hidden away.
2. Swarmers and Abandoned Wings
Some termites can fly. They may also shed wings that can be easily spotted near crawl spaces and window panes. Be sure to keep an eye out for these.
3. Damaged Wooden Structures
From your wooden furniture to your floorings, inspect every area possible. Especially the corners and edges. You may find visible cracks. Check under your kitchen and bathroom sinks. Termites can access your cabinets were pipes come up through the slab foundation.
4. Trails on walls
If you notice any holes or tunnels in your plaster walls or wallpaper, then chances are it has been done so by termites. Another sign is the presence of mud filled into these holes. If both these factors are present, then you have termite infestation.
5. Musty Smell
Don’t mistake the musty and foul smell for dirty laundry, it could be termites. These buggers can leave behind a trail of stench that can be hard to get rid of.
Tips to Prevent Termite Infestations
While termite infestations can develop out of nowhere, there are a few ways to prevent termites from eating away your home. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
● Check for the presence of moisture and humidity around crawl spaces. You can invest in a dehumidifier for this purpose.
● Reduce the contact of soil and wood in your home. Keep plants in sturdy pots and place them away from wooden structures.
● Fix leaking pipes and faucets. Leaky pipes can allow moisture accumulation and encourage the growth of termites.
● If you live in an area prone to termite infestations, then regularly treat your home and have a professional inspection carried out. Prevention is always a wise decision and can save you from a lot of damage later on.
● Avoid storing firewood against the house. They are the most common cause of termite infestations and termites thrive inside unattended firewood.
How to Get Rid of Termites Effectively
At KY-YO Pest Prevention, we specialize in the detection and treatment of termites. We even provide free inspections to get started and have the most affordable rates in Phoenix.