Information about Pesticides
Pesticides are an effective treatment for eliminating pests. Use them properly and they will work wonders, but there is a major problem. If you use them in an incorrect manner, you will be exposing your health to risks. A much better approach is to hire a company which offers pest control in Phoenix, AZ.
Defining a Pesticide
Generally, people regard pesticide as a product which kills bugs. While this is true, there is more to the definition. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, a pesticide can be defined as any substance which is intended for destroying, killing, repelling or preventing any type of pest.
Before a pesticide is launched in the market, it is properly tested and if it qualifies, a registration number is allotted. This pesticide then carries a label, which is given to it by the EPA. Whenever you use a pesticide, always check of this label.
Types of Pesticides
Pesticides can be divided into several types. Here is a look at the most common ones.
- Insecticides: kills insects and fleas
- Herbicides: used for killing plant defoliants
- Rodenticides: repels all sorts of rodents and mice
- Germicides: kills disinfectants in the bathroom
- Algicides: used for treating algae in the pool
- Mildewcides: prevents the growth of mildew
There are more types as well, but the ones listed above are the most common.
Categories of Pesticides
Pesticides can be divided into several categories.
- Selective Pesticides: used for dealing with a certain problem or pest
- Non-selective Pesticides: can kill a number of pests
- Systemic Pesticides: work only when the targeted pest ingests them
- Topical: work when the pests come in contact with the chemicals
- Liquid Pesticides: can be applied to any sort of surface and used for a number of purposes
- Powders: Powders are of two types: dry and wettable. The latter of these have to be mixed with water before use.
Before buying the pesticide
Before you buy any pesticide, be sure to:
- Identify the pest which has infested your house: This is really important. Remember pesticides are designed for a certain pest, and will only work when used for these pests. If this is not the case, you will not get any results.
- Read the instructions given on the label: A pesticide has to be used safely. For this, certain instructions are given on the label along with a recommended quantity. You must follow these so that your health is not endangered.
- Use the pesticide in the recommended amount only: Pesticides must be used in specific amounts only. Using them in quantities greater than the ones indicated will expose you to risks.
Storing the Pesticides
Just as pesticides must be used safely, they must also be stored safely. Refer to the label for more details in this regard.